UNB: The nationwide shutdown aimed at curbing coronavirus has left her day-labourer husband jobless, leading their family, including her toddler, to starvation. As the family is new in the locality, no-one gave them any relief either.
Left with no option to buy milk for her baby, aged one and half years, the woman sold her hair in Savar Colony area to buy milk for the child.
Sathi Begum sold her hair to a hawker for Tk 180 on Monday for purchasing milk for her baby as well as food for her family as they have been starving for the last few days due to the coronavirus lockdown.
Hailing from Mymensingh, Sathi along with her husband and baby came to the area one and half months ago and has been living in a tin-roofed house of the colony.
The nationwide shutdown has left Sathi’s husband who is a day-labourer without any work. As they are new in the area, no-one gives them any relief.
Suddenly, Sathi met a hair vendor on Monday and instantly decided what to do. She sold her hair for Tk 180 and bought milk and one kg of rice with the money.
As the information spread around, some people came forward to help the family.
Abdullah Al Mahfuz, assistant commissioner (Land) of Savar upazila, termed the matter unfortunate and tragic.
He also assured locals of sending relief materials for the family soon.
- Aid commitment drops by 75pc
- Banking Commission needs urgently to reduce grafts
- Satla beel repletes with red water lily
- Flourish tourism sector
- BD, Saudi FMs to discuss bilateral issues today
- Over 100 OCs allegedly involved with crimes
- Part of Dhaka Elevated Expressway to open in December 2021
- Rohingya Genocide: ICC considers holding hearings in Bangladesh
- Hasina brought country on path of development: Momen
- REPO rate slashed to 4.75pc for stock market special fund