Staff Correspondent: Saudi business firm the Engineering Dimensions (ED) is in final stage to sign a deal worth of USD 321 million with the country’s largest clinker-cement production facility at Chhatak in Sunamganj. The agreement is expected to be signed up this month to set up the plant having a production capacity of 15,000 tonnes of clinker-cement per day.
The Engineering Dimensions will sign the deal with the state-owned Bangladesh Chemical Industries Corporation (BCIC), and the plant is likely to be named as Saudi Bangladesh Friendship Cement Company Limited (SBFCCL).
The cement manufacturing unit will be built on more than 160 acres of land next to the existing state-run Chhatak Cement Factory. The BCIC has almost finalized the draft of the agreement, excepting a few points, which need to be agreed upon by both parties.
Earlier in December 2018, BCIC Chairman Shah M Aminul Haque and Engineering Dimensions President Mohammed N Hijji signed the partnership agreement on behalf of their respective sides to set up the modern cement factory in Chhatak.
A Nanjing-based company, C-HOPE Cement Engineering Group, is officially assigned for reviving the ailing factory using an environment-friendly, energy-efficient and cost-effective technology.
The Saudi firm will require 163 acres of land for building the cement production base. The BCIC will give it around 133 acres, while the remaining land will be bought by the company.
The proposed factory will produce 12,000 tonnes of clinker and 3,000 tonnes of cement per day, and its clinker can be commercially marketed locally and globally.
Meanwhile, the ED has recently started implementing a USD 35 million project at the state-owned General Electric Manufacturing Company Limited (GEMCO) in Chattogram for producing transformers and other electrical devices.
- 120,000 addl prepaid gas metres for Dhaka on card
- Dhaka welcomes Kathmandu’s proposal to use Saidpur Airport
- Coronavirus: BD provides medical logistics to China
- Regional passport office construction project goes on snail pace
- ECNEC approves project to enhance Mongla Port’s capacity with Tk 6,014.62 crore
- BD-Nepal taskforce to be formed to develop connectivity
- BD needs to increase investment ratio at 45 pc to GDP
- SSF gets two units of Goldwing motorcycles
- Rejection of 68,000 house building proposal may breach poor’s dream
- Some mega projects might be affected: Chinese envoy