Staff Correspondent: Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina yesterday paid rich tributes to Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman on the occasion of the Homecoming Day of the great leader.
The premier paid the homage by placing wreaths at the portrait of the Father of the Nation in front of Bangabandhu Memorial Museum at Dhanmondi here this morning.
After laying the wreaths, the prime minister stood in solemn silence for
some time as a mark of profound respect to the memory of Bangabandhu, the architect of independence.
Flanked by ministers and central leaders of the party, Sheikh Hasina, also the president of Bangladesh Awami League, placed another wreath at the portrait of Bangabandhu on behalf of her party.
Later, the leaders of Awami League’s associate bodies, including Jubo League, Chhatra League, Sramik League, Mohila Awami League, Sechchhasebak League, Jubo Mohila League, Krishak League, Dhaka city AL and other socio-cultural organizations laid wreaths at the portrait of Bangabandhu. Bangabandhu returned to independent Bangladesh via London and New Delhi on January 10 in 1972, after 290 days of captivity in a Pakistan jail.
Since then, the nation is observing the day as the Homecoming Day of the Father of the Nation.
- NGOs impeding’ Rohingya repatriation, Says Govt
- Dhaka seeks strong global response to resolve Rohingya crisis
- Govt borrows Tk 230b from banks in 35 days
- Saudi firm looks to invest in BD’s port infrastructure
- UN chief urges world to stamp out religious persecution
- BTRC, NBR accounts of online advertising by telcos differ massively
- Gold set for worst week in nearly 5 months
- 90m cubic feet of gas caught in system loss
- 24,735 hajis return home
- Tanners agree to pay dues in three phases