Chattogram Bureau: Hundreds of sacks of rotten onions are lying in front of every warehouse in Chattogram’s Khatunganj. Per 50 kg sack of onion is being sold there for only Tk 10. Even, the rotten onion is being thrown away by car.
Onions are rotting due to unawareness while loading ships in exporting countries. For the reason, the importers have lost several crores of money.
The importers said that the onion was rotting because the goods were not being delivered properly. There was also a temperature problem on the ships. We will not able to recover even 20 percent of the money. Many onions are being discarded. In Khatunganj, onions weighing 50 kg are being sold for only Tk 10-15.
Several onion traders said, “Though onion has been sold for Tk 40-50, we are forced to sell for Tk 10-15. Some onion has been sold as sacks, some discarded. Rather, we are paying money to throw away the rotten onion.
- Foreign investors take U-turn from bank shares
- Bangladesh’s friendship with India helpful for development: Hasan
- Japan-Bangladesh relations reach a new height: Envoy
- BD to buy 100,000 tons rice from Myanmar
- People’s Leasing chairman Intl Leasing ex-MD arrested
- Income won’t increase if agriculture not improve
- Economic recovery delayed for slow vaccine rollouts
- Over power generation to incur huge loss for plants
- Corona death toll crosses 8,000 mark
- Flow of 6 economic indicators uprising