Industry Desk: Iranian state television claimed at least 80 “American terrorists” were killed in attacks involving 15 missiles, adding that none of the missiles were intercepted. The claim could not be independently verified and the state television did not provide evidence of how it obtained that information.
Citing a senior Revolutionary Guards Corps source, the state television also said Iran had 100 other targets in the region in its sights if Washington took any retaliatory measures. It also said US helicopters and military equipment were “severely damaged”.
There was no immediate comment by US officials. Earlier, a US official speaking on condition of anonymity told The Associated Press news agency there were “few, if any” casualties.
Meanwhile, the Danish armed forces said in a Twitter post no Danish soldiers were wounded or killed in the missile strike on the Al-Asad airbase. Denmark has about 130 soldiers at the base as part of the international coalition fighting the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL or ISIS) armed group.
In a statement soon after the launch of the missile launches, Iran warned US allies in the region including Israel that they too would be attacked if they allowed their countries to be used for attacking Iran.
Iranian television reported a senior official in the Iranian supreme leader’s office said the missile attacks were the “weakest” of several retaliation scenarios. The Pentagon meanwhile confirmed more than a dozen missiles had been launched against US military and coalition forces in Iraq, adding that the missiles had come from Iran.
“We are working on initial battle damage assessments,” Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said in a statement. “We will all take all necessary measures to protect and defend US personnel, partners and allies in the region.”
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defense Secretary Mark Esper arrived at the White House late yesterday, and an official said Trump had been briefed on the attacks and was monitoring the situation closely.
Hours earlier, Esper said the US should anticipate a response from Iran for the killing on Friday of Soleimani, the head of the elite Quds Force who was assassinated in a US drone strike near Baghdad’s international airport, alongside Iraqi paramilitary commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis and several others.
“I think we should expect that they will retaliate in some way, shape or form,” he told a news briefing at the Pentagon, adding that such retaliation could be through Iran-backed proxy groups outside of Iran or “by their own hand.”
“We’re prepared for any contingency. And then we will respond appropriately to whatever they do.”
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a Democrat, earlier warned the US and the world could not afford to go to war.
Ismael Alsodani, a retired Brigadier General and former Iraqi defence attache to the US told Al Jazeera, Iran’s response was calibrated to reflect the seriousness of the Soleimani attack.
“Killing Soleimani was an insult from the Americans to the Iranians,” Alsodani said. “They are compelled to retaliate in a way where the target will be the same size and scale of killing Soleimani. I don’t think this will be the only retaliation.”
Prompted by the strong public backlash for Soleimani’s killing on Iraqi soil, legislators in Iraq voted on Sunday to demand the removal of all foreign forces from the country.
More than 5,000 US troops remain in the country along with other foreign forces as part of a coalition that has trained and supported Iraqi security forces against the threat from the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL or ISIS).
“The worst expectation that Iraq had, that it will again become a theatre of confrontation between world powers seems to be coming true again tonight, as Iraq was the place where the US chose to take out Soleimani and Iraq again is the place where the Iranians chose to attack US forces,” Al Jazeera’s Bin Javaid said.
- BD may fail to achieve $60b export target
- 3,000 prisoners to be released amid virus fears
- WB approves $350m for 3 BD projects
- Saudi hints to cancel hajj this season
- Poultry industry could lose Tk 16b for corona
- Brands abandon BD workers in virus pandemic: HRW
- Work of Padma Bridge’s 42 pillars completed
- Coronavirus risk rising for non-compliance of directives
- Cry for food in houses
- PM directs providing food aid to the poor