Staff Correspondent: The government has decided to free BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia from jail suspending her conviction order upon two conditions.
Law Minister Annisul Huq came up with the announcement at a media briefing yesterday at his Gulshan office, reports.
The conditions are receiving treatment staying at her Gulshan residence and not leaving the country.
The Law Minister said they took the decision at the directives of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina considering her age and humanitarian ground.
The minister said he sent his opinion about Khaleda’s release to the Home Ministry.
Khaleda has been in jail since she was convicted in the Zia Orphanage Trust corruption case on February 8, 2018.
She was found guilty in another corruption case later the same year, though her party claims both cases are politically motivated.
She has been receiving treatment at Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) since April 1 last year.
- Coronavirus risk rising for non-compliance of directives
- Cry for food in houses
- PM directs providing food aid to the poor
- BB asks banks to support BD stuck abroad
- Media and govt will work closely to combat corona
- If society rots, we none can save us
- Cleaning workers may be silent carriers of COVID-19
- BB asks banks to release forex of travelers’ cards
- RMG gets good news amid corona epidemic
- Mirpur stadium can be used as hospital: BCB