Industry Desk: Indian intelligence agencies reportedly handed over to Bangladesh a key conspirator convicted in the assassination of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, NDTV says.
According to reports, Risaldar Moslehuddin was handed over on Monday evening to Bangladesh at an undisclosed land border crossing.
Moslehuddin is believed to be one of the conspirators who shot down Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. He was supposedly detained in Bongaon, some 70km away from Kolkata in West Bengal.
He ran a small herbal medicine shop. According to easternlinks.com, a news portal that broke the story, another convicted killer of Bangabandhu — Captain Abdul Majed who was hanged on April 12, 2020 — revealed Moslehuddin’s whereabouts before he was executed.
The reported intelligence operation to track Moslehuddin was conducted under deep cover by top agencies and even the West Bengal police was unaware of the operation, sources say.
When initial reports about the operation emerged along with photos and videos of the suspect, there was a lot of confusion because some sources claimed the man in the photo — who was allegedly Moslehuddin — had died a few years ago.
According to some reports, Bangladesh used highly sophisticated facial recognition technology to confirm that the man being handed over was indeed the fugitive.
Official confirmation of the operation is awaited both in India and Bangladesh.
- Aid commitment drops by 75pc
- Banking Commission needs urgently to reduce grafts
- Satla beel repletes with red water lily
- Flourish tourism sector
- BD, Saudi FMs to discuss bilateral issues today
- Over 100 OCs allegedly involved with crimes
- Part of Dhaka Elevated Expressway to open in December 2021
- Rohingya Genocide: ICC considers holding hearings in Bangladesh
- Hasina brought country on path of development: Momen
- REPO rate slashed to 4.75pc for stock market special fund