Industry Desk: Facing with allegations of fraud and other crimes, 679 foreigners have been suffering in the country’s jail. Of them, 65 have been sentenced with various terms, while rests are still under trial.
Meanwhile, the sentence of 82 persons has been ended, they are serving as release prisoner or RP. Since their own country did not take their responsibility or no relative came to take them back, the prisoners are still in prison as release prisoners because they do not have capacity to go back.
Home Ministry and prison sources say that, many people come to Bangladesh from Africa and other countries on tourist, student or business visas and do not leave the country when their visas go on expired. Many get engaged in criminals groups. Some become involved fraudulent schemes offering jobs overseas, lottery and ATM scams.
Until Feb 10, there are 58 foreigners in the prisons of Dhaka division including 3 women and there are 5 under RP. The highest numbers of foreigners are in Chattogram prison with 294 persons of which 13 are women. Of these, 32 have got sentence.
In Dhaka central jail, there are two Indians, one Nepali, one Pakistani, one American and a Spanish national.
Many Rohingyas are also in prison for their involvement in a variety of crimes.
Home Minister Asadizzman Khan says: “Many are still in prison after their sentence is over because neither their relatives nor their country of citizenship came forward to claim them.”
- Aid commitment drops by 75pc
- Banking Commission needs urgently to reduce grafts
- Satla beel repletes with red water lily
- Flourish tourism sector
- BD, Saudi FMs to discuss bilateral issues today
- Over 100 OCs allegedly involved with crimes
- Part of Dhaka Elevated Expressway to open in December 2021
- Rohingya Genocide: ICC considers holding hearings in Bangladesh
- Hasina brought country on path of development: Momen
- REPO rate slashed to 4.75pc for stock market special fund