Reuters: In the midst of spreading fear over the coronavirus outbreak, travellers to Asia, even to countries far from the epicentre of the virus in China, are beginning to reconsider their plans.
While hard data on cancellations is scarce, as airlines, hotels and travel boards say they do not yet have numbers or will not share them, some tour operators, travel insurance brokers and even airline employees say they are facing growing numbers of customers changing their plans.
Brian Fitzgerald, president of Overseas Adventure Travel, a company providing group tours to travellers mostly over 50, said that after its initial cancellations for trips to China through April in the wake of the outbreak’s announcement, this week tourists slated to go to Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam were starting to reconsider as well.
“People are worried about traveling to Asia when they should be cognizant of traveling to China,” Fitzgerald said.
He said the company had received “almost no new bookings” to China for the first half of the year and cancelled trips. It offered about 400 travellers a full refund, the option to go elsewhere or to take the trip at a later date.
The January data for APRIL Travel Protection, an insurance provider, which tracks residents in the United States traveling to every country in the world, shows that claims with an Asian country in the itinerary more than doubled compared to January 2019. Additionally this January, 3% of all the company’s received claims were for cancellations related to the coronavirus.
Hopper, a booking site that specialises in using data to suggest the best time to purchase travel, estimated that demand for international travel had declined by 3% since the first week in January, Brianna Schneider, the company’s director of communications, said in an email. She said 80% of the decline was directly driven by demand from the United States to China; the other 20% was “a peripheral impact on other international destinations.”
Calls to airline reservations lines also found travellers looking to cancel. Tina, a Los Angeles-based reservation receptionist for Asiana Airlines, South Korea’s second largest airline, said that in the last week she’d seen calls to the centre spike as much as 50%. She did not give her last name, citing company policy.
“They don’t want to go to Asia,” she said. “Even though we cannot waive the fee for the Philippines or the other Southeast Asian countries, they still want to cancel.”
Similarly, Jordan, a Philippines-based customer service agent for Singapore Airlines who did not provide his last name because of company policy, confirmed an uptick in cancellations, despite the fact that the airline has offered to reroute passengers to bypass mainland China and Hong Kong without charge.
The continent of Asia has become an increasingly popular tourist destination in recent years. In 2018, more than 343 million international tourists travelled to Asia and the Pacific, according to the World Tourism Organisation, an increase of 6% from the prior year.
The coronavirus, with its initial cases reported in Wuhan, China, has sickened thousands and caused hundreds of deaths – all but two in mainland China.
More than 20 international carriers have suspended or restricted routes that ended in Wuhan and other major Chinese cities, including Beijing, Hong Kong and Shanghai.
A number of airlines including China Eastern Airlines, Cathay Pacific and Air China route passengers through those cities on their way to other destinations. For some travellers, even a brief layover in China is not worth the risk.
Jessica Salina and her husband, Anthony, planned to honeymoon in Japan in March – their first time traveling to Asia. But their Air China flight between Los Angeles and Tokyo included a layover in Beijing, and they decided to cancel on Jan 30.
“My biggest fear was not Japan, but that layover in Beijing,” Jessica Salina said in an email. “Between the large airport and additional screenings, I was starting to full-blown panic.”
Luckily for her, the travel agency she booked through, Affordable World, provided penalty-free refunds for cancellation of flights passing through China.
- BD lowers borrowing costs as pandemic hits economy
- BB asks banks to ensure smooth ATM, MFS services during Eid vacation
- UK aid announces £950,000 fund to tackle floods in BD
- BB announces ‘expansionary and accommodative’ monetary policy
- PM greets people on Eid-ul-Azha
- Currency outside banks increases by 24.69 pc in a year
- Bomb carriers are rented killers, not militants
- Fishing industry contributes 4 percent to the GDP
- 35 die in 24 hours in BD
- SMEs in BD generate employment for 70 to 80 pc people in non-agri sector