Staff Correspondent: Construction of the Tk 8.5 thousand crore multi-lane tunnel under the Karnaphuli River begins February 24.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina will inaugurate the construction work.
The primary groundwork to construct the tunnel and build up twin cities on both banks of the Karnaphuli River has already been completed.
The tunnel will be constructed with financial and technical assistance from China, while the Bridges Division of the Road Transport and Bridges Ministry will supervise the work.
The 4-lane tunnel will be 3.5km in length, while the approach road on both sides of the river will be around 6 km. The tunnel will connect the proposed Asian Highway to the Dhaka-Chittagong-Cox’s Bazar Highway.
- Poor FDI hinders growth
- Trade gap with China stands at $10.99 billion in FY 2018
- Interest rate falling to single digit
- Govt to provide assistance for raw jute procurement
- Taka depreciates 17 poisha against US dollar in a week
- Bangladesh to buy 50,000 tones wheat from Russia
- Austrian FM due today
- Trade gap with India stood at $7746.13m in FY2018
- PM demands richer nations’ support to tackle climate change impacts
- Wheat production slumping for climate change