Staff Correspondent: The family of a victim of the horrifying Chawkbazar fire has filed a case for causing death by negligence.
A relative of Arafat Islam Siyam, a 19-year-old who burnt to death, filed the case with the Chawkbazar Police Station yesterday. Additional deputy commissioner Md Kamal Hossain said the case was filed with Chawkbazar police station against unidentified people on Thursday night.
Mohammad Ibrahim Khan, Lalbagh Deputy Commissioner of police, said that the case filed under the Penal Code accuses the two sons of Hazi Abdul Wahed, who owned one of the five buildings damaged by the fire, and 10-12 unnamed individuals.
The case was filed under sections of 304 (A), 436, 427 and 34 for death by negligence, sabotage and damage of goods, said Deputy Police Commissioner Ibrahim Khan.
In prior to that, police filed another case over ‘unnatural deaths’ with the Chawkbazar Police Station on Thursday night.
The DMCH Forensic Department handed over 46 bodies to their loved ones as of Friday morning, while 21 more bodies remain at the morgue.
Among the nine admitted to the burn unit of the hospital, six were in critical condition, according to the doctors.
At least 81 people were killed and 41 others injured in a devastating fire that broke out at a chemical warehouse and raged through four other adjacent buildings in the city’s Chawkbazar area on Wednesday night.
- Bank lockers become safe haven for ill gotten resources
- No act of injustice to be tolerated in edu institutions
- Tanneries gone but not pollution
- Job termination to hit poverty reduction rate, GDP growth
- Extreme poverty to fall below 5 percent
- Onion prices rise again in Dhaka after brief fall
- Universities will decide about banning politics on campus
- BB makes existing beneficiary apparel makers ineligible for 1pc cash incentive
- Vegetable farming rises sharply in BD
- Bangladesh reiterates commitment to protect children’s rights