Staff Correspondent: Speakers at a conference yesterday emphasised negotiation with China about opportunities of Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) since it is very important for economic ties.
The suggestion came at an international conference on BRI organised by CPD at a hotel in the capital.
CPD Chairman Prof Rehman Sobhan said BRI is very important for Bangladesh.
“China is investing in many sectors in Bangladesh. Many investors will invest here in future as well. So, we need to negotiate more about BRI opportunities. Mapping is also needed in the invested areas here,” he said.
Industries Minister Nurul Majid Humayun said there is a good relation between Bangladesh and China. Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina also visited the country.
“BRI is very important for south Asian countries,” he said, adding that a developed economic tie will be established with China through BRI.
Foreign Ministry Senior Secretary Md Shahidul Haque said BRI is very significant for the country’s infrastructure development and trade.
“We’re in key position of the belt. We’ve to negotiate about its opportunities,” he said.
Former caretaker government advisor Syed Manzur Elahi presided over the function while Dr Fahmida Khatun, executive director of CPD, read out the keynote papers.
Professor Dr Sachin Chaturvedi, director general of Institute for Bangladesh System for developing Countries, New Delhi; Prof Cheng Min, Institute for Bangladesh Studies, Yunnan Academy of Social Sciences Kunming; and Mahbub Uz Zaman, Bangladesh Ambassador-designate to China also spoke at the first session.
- Family tour in name of training in Turkey
- Prudent fiscal policy needed to overcome middle income trap
- Do industrialisation without affecting food production: PM
- BR’s negligence responsible for most train accidents
- Cyclone destroyed crops worth Tk 2.63 b
- 16 killed in Kasba train collision
- 31 insurance companies must come in capital market by Dec
- Farmers lose millers gain
- Bangladesh sees fruit production boom
- No more industries on arable land: PM