Staff correspondent: Bangladesh has advanced in the world economic independence index. Bangladesh is one step ahead of the previous year in the report of the US-based international organization Heritage Foundation’s ‘Global Economic Index 2021’. India and Pakistan are behind Bangladesh in this index.
According to the Heritage Foundation, Bangladesh ranks 120th with a score of 56.5. Pakistan ranks 152nd. India is in 121st position with the same score as Bangladesh. This change of position has taken place as Bangladesh scored 0.1 points this year and India did not score any points this year.
Bhutan is the only country in South Asia above Bangladesh. The country’s score and position are 58.3 and 109th respectively.
Singapore tops the list with a score of 89.7. Rounding up the global top five are New Zealand in second place with 83.9 points, Australia, third (82.4 points), Switzerland in fourth with 81.9 points and Ireland (81.4 points).
As for the major economies, the United Kingdom is 7th (78.4 points), United States is ranked 20th with a score of 74.8 points, Japan 23rd (74.1 points), Germany is 29th (72.5 points) and China is number 107 scoring 58.4 points.
At the bottom of the list is North Korea. The position and score of the country is 178 and 5.2 respectively.
- Loss incurring branch increasing in SoBs
- Impose of high taxes on tobacco products demanded
- All international flights suspended from Apr 14
- BJMC needs Tk 1,265cr more to pay employees
- Next budget to emphasis health service improvement: Kamal
- IMF, WB begin push to swap debt relief for green projects
- Use digital tech in trip management, ticketing
- 483 upazila health centres get Tk 14.49 cr allocation
- Dhaleshwari, Shitalakshma turn into death traps
- Cry for a bed