Industry Desk: US Secretary of State Michael R Pompeo has emphasised the importance of advancing good governance, transparency, and democratic values, as Bangladesh continues its emergence as a key partner in the Indo-Pacific.
Pompeo on Monday met Bangladesh Foreign Minister Dr AK Abdul Momen in Washington and discussed increasing economic, security, and counterterrorism cooperation.
The US Secretary of State underscored that the responsibility for resolution of Rohingya crisis rests with Myanmar, which must create the necessary conditions for voluntary repatriation.
Pompeo emphasised how they will work with the international community to increase support for Rohingyas and host communities, while addressing the root causes and conditions in Myanmar. He lauded Bangladesh’s generosity in continuing to host over one million Rohingyas from Myanmar, said US State Department Spokesperson Morgan Ortagus.
- LC opening declines by 20.89 pc in BD
- Markets abuzz with shoppers ahead of Eid
- Govt working to improve living standard of people: PM
- Keraniganj Garment Hub
- Exclusive economic zone for Japanese investors
- Allocate extra Tk 100b to procure paddy: BNP to govt
- Govt initiates move to construct multipurpose terminal at Payra Port
- BD made most progress in access to power: WB
- Exporters may get more cash incentives
- Must keep footpaths clear to reduce tailbacks: DNCC mayor