Sylhet Correspondent: Bamboo has been used instead of steel to repair deck of the third Shahjalal Bridge on the Surma river in Sylhet.
Road and highway workers gave bitumen plaque with bamboo on the joint of the important bridge of Sylhet-Sunamganj bypass road on Sunday.
Road and Highway Department (RHD) officials said bamboo has been used instead of steel for temporary renovation and it’s not risky.
The officer in charge of the bridge, Road and Highway Department Sylhet’s Deputy Engineer Nurul Majid Chowdhury said as the clips fitted with steel sheets on the bridge joints were broken and they were stolen. We used bamboo as a temporary solution.
He added that the steel sheets of the bridge joints broke due to excess freight traffic. It is not possible to re-plant those steel sheet. Therefore, pitch casting is done by pouring bitumen with bamboo. There is no risk.
Our correspondent could not reach to Sylhet RHD executive engineer Ritesh Barua even after trying multiple times.
- BD lowers borrowing costs as pandemic hits economy
- BB asks banks to ensure smooth ATM, MFS services during Eid vacation
- UK aid announces £950,000 fund to tackle floods in BD
- BB announces ‘expansionary and accommodative’ monetary policy
- PM greets people on Eid-ul-Azha
- Currency outside banks increases by 24.69 pc in a year
- Bomb carriers are rented killers, not militants
- Fishing industry contributes 4 percent to the GDP
- 35 die in 24 hours in BD
- SMEs in BD generate employment for 70 to 80 pc people in non-agri sector