Staff Correspondent: Information Minister Hasan Mahmud said over 8,000 applications have been submitted for registration of online news portals.
The minister came up with the disclosure while addressing a programme at national press club in the capital yesterday noon.
He said that the role of media is very important to make a democratic society. Media is now multidimensional. Extensive development took place in the last ten years. There have been 8,000 applications for online portal registration.
“Over 9 crore of people now use social media in the country. It has both positive and negative sides. Rumors through social media are being spread. We have to think about it,” he added.
Terming Khaleda Zia as a threat to politics, the information minister said, “Those who burn people to get the power using petrol bombs, their leader Khaleda Zia is now a big threat to politics.”
Former Vice Chancellor of Dhaka University Prof AAMS Arefin Siddique, Prime Minister’s speech writer Md Nazrul Islam and others attended the function.
- Use of plastic bag raises 17th times after imposing ban
- PM vows to make railway profitable
- Pvt sector credit growth hits 9-yr low in August
- Indo-Bangla relations veering towards Tripura
- BD ranks 88th on hunger index
- Power sector subsidy rose thirty times in a decade
- Hajj apps on cards
- Casinos’ black money great threat for country’s economy
- 12,000 Bangladeshi strawberry pickers face deadly risks in Greece
- PM opens Bhulta Flyover Mymensingh Banar Bridge