Staff Correspondent: Information Minister Hasan Mahmud said over 8,000 applications have been submitted for registration of online news portals.
The minister came up with the disclosure while addressing a programme at national press club in the capital yesterday noon.
He said that the role of media is very important to make a democratic society. Media is now multidimensional. Extensive development took place in the last ten years. There have been 8,000 applications for online portal registration.
“Over 9 crore of people now use social media in the country. It has both positive and negative sides. Rumors through social media are being spread. We have to think about it,” he added.
Terming Khaleda Zia as a threat to politics, the information minister said, “Those who burn people to get the power using petrol bombs, their leader Khaleda Zia is now a big threat to politics.”
Former Vice Chancellor of Dhaka University Prof AAMS Arefin Siddique, Prime Minister’s speech writer Md Nazrul Islam and others attended the function.
- BIDA to complete one- stop service by Sep this year
- China-BD JV company to invest $ 1.46m in IEPZ
- PM stresses formulation of master plan for development
- RMG export to non-traditional market grows by 22 percent
- Govt won’t provide power to unplanned industrial zones
- Mannan urges expatriate to invest in BD
- Primary students dropout rate decrease by 18.6pc
- Negative growth of capital machinery import concerns for economy
- Climate change blights children’s lives in BD
- Online media to be disciplined after registration